Thursday, June 02, 2005

good for the heart

I had my volunteering gig again last night (every other Wednesday), facilitating the support group for kids who are dealing with the death of a loved one. I don't know what it is about being there, but I really enjoy it. My volunteering days start out like all the rest, with me being tired and wanting to just come straight home after work to nap, but by the time I get to the site and the kids show up I'm all jazzed and running around like a 12 year old myself. My favorite quote of the evening yesterday was when one of the more troubled kids caught my attention out on the play structure and asked: "can we play the game where the big kids....I mean, the grown-ups...I mean the leaders..." me: "you mean, us?" him: "yeah, you guys; where you guys run after us and we have to freeze if you tag us?". So sweet.

1 comment:

Milt Bogs said...

I think you should change "I really enjoy it" to "I think it is really worthwhile."