Thursday, February 10, 2005

big mouth

My writing class was great, far better than a class I attempted to take earlier in the semester at a less esteemed institution. That class was abysmal, the professor “lectured” straight from the book, anecdotes and all…and that was on the first day! I barely escaped with my funds, though I did sacrifice a couple of nights to the class. This new class seems far better. The students are professionals, the instructor talks to us like the adults we are. I did have a few moments of wise-ass-ness come up over the last couple of days, particularly one moment during my class. The teacher commented on a figure of speech that I had said as being one of her pet peeves, how she abhorred it. I couldn’t help myself, my squeaky voice chirping defiantly “I love it!!!” Sometimes I just can’t close my mouth fast enough. The entire class chuckled, so at least I was saved by the humor of the moment. That’s all one can ask for in those situations, I suppose. Another incident was the day before, at an orientation meeting for a new volunteering thing that I’m doing. The department director asked me if there was any way I could be there before 5:30 pm on weekdays, and my response was, “I could, but I don’t think my boss would like it very much.” This was received with a blank stare from the guy and an immediate sense of regret from me. Whoops! Why couldn’t I have just said, “no”? That would’ve been so much simpler and better received! Sometimes the quips that come out of me surprise even myself.

No comments: